This is a simple, paired back ice-cream recipe which is perfect as a base recipe to add interest and extra flavour by swirling through caramel, soaked raisins and nuts for example.
- 170ml S&K fortified wine
- 85g caster sugar
- 300ml thick cream
- 300ml milk
- Over low heat, gently bring the fortified wine and sugar to a simmer and dissolve the sugar. Leave to cool
- Gently whisk the cream and then add the milk and fortified wine, mixing well.
- If you have an ice cream machine, completely cool the mixture in the fridge and then follow your machine's instructions.
- Otherwise, pour the fortified mixture into a container with a tight lid and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours. Remove, blend until smooth and creamy and place back in the freezer overnight. Blend the frozen mixture again until very smooth, breaking up the ice particles. Place back in the freezer.
- At this point, you can either keep your ice cream plain or add your preferred flavourings. After blending and before putting into the freezer for the second time, try adding soaked raisins or chopped Turkish Delight for a Muscat based ice cream, toffee or chopped caramel for Topaque or spiced nuts for Tawny.
- Serve in an antique glass with a shot of espresso poured over the top with lashings of high quality grated chocolate.
- Pair with a freshly baked sablée biscuit and seasonal poached fruit on the side.