It has been a great year for Rutherglen and Stanton & Killeen with ourselves and many of our fellow wineries taking home numerous accolades in 2016. Our highlights include being shortlisted two years in a row for the Australian Producer of The Year Trophy at the International Wine & Spirits Competition and winning five major trophies for our fortifieds, including the Best Fortified Trophy for our Classic Muscat last week at the Victorian Wines Show.
While it one of Australia’s oldest wine regions, Rutherglen is sometimes overlooked when it comes to new or alternative varieties, so it’s exciting that our little town won three trophies from the Victorian Wines Show last week (read more about the trophy winning Arneis and Saperavi) and shows that Rutherglen is not only producing outstanding fortifieds.
Having said that, there are many new generation wine consumers who may have never tasted fortified wines, and our Classic Muscat is introducing them to a style that is bright, fresh and versatile. (Have you tried Muscat in cocktails?) We’re thrilled that one of our younger muscats won this trophy over many older blends as this rarely happens, and to win the Best Fortified overall means we must be doing something right at Stanton & Killeen. Our focus is on nurturing and maintaining our oldest and most concentrated fortified parcels but also creating some vibrant and fresh material to bring out the varietal flavours.
We’ve got the best of both worlds at Stanton & Killeen with the time-honoured favourites of Chardonnay, Shiraz and of course Muscat but also nine Portuguese varieties coming through the ranks that we’re having a lot of fun with. Some of these varieties we’ve had in the vineyard for over 30 years and some have just been planted. Watch this space!
S&K’s year in the limelight:
- Best Fortified Trophy at the Victorian Wines Show for NV Classic Muscat
- Best Estate Grown and Produced Wine Trophy at Boutique Wine Awards for NV Grand Muscat
- Chris Killeen Memorial Trophy for Best Fortified at Boutique Wine Awards for NV Grand Muscat
- Best Fortified Trophy at the Cowra Wine Show for NV Classic Muscat
- Best Commercial Muscat Trophy at Rutherglen Wine Show for NV Classic Muscat
- Gold at the International Wine and Spirit Competition UK for NV Classic Muscat and NV Grand Muscat
- Silver at the International Wine and Spirit Competition UK for NV Classic Topaque and NV Grand Topaque
- Shortlist for Australian Producer of the Year Trophy at International Wine and Spirit Competition UK